One-child policy is started by China. how and why China introduced this policy? how it is good for the economy of the country? Why it is important? Is China’s one-child policy have any negative impact on the economy?
China’s one-child policy was part of the birth planning program introduced to control the population of the country. Where it is actually to the setting of a limit of one child that the government could allow parents to have.
. It is actually to set a limit of one child that the parents could have.
Why china introduced the one-child policy?
The rapid increase in the population during the period of the 1950s. At that time the government encouraged families to have as many children as possible. Mao Zedong (he ruled as the Chairman of the Communist Party of China from 1949-1976) believed that population growth will empower the country. And preventing the implementation of family planning programs in the earlier development of China.
Moreover, the population was rising under Mao Zedong. The population increased from around 540 million in 1949 to 940 million in 1976. Moreover, the population was rising.
Infant mortality falls from 227 per thousand births in 1949 to 53 per thousand in 1981, and life expectancy suddenly increased from around 35 years in 1948 to 66 years in 1976 under the leadership of Mao.
There are some advantages to the one-child policy. Which helped to develop the country’s economic status. Following are the advantages:-
- Population control:- Most common advantage of the One-child policy is control of the population. Where there will be a decrease in the birth rate.
- Increase in Employment Opportunites:- Due to the decrease in birth rate, there will be increased employment opportunities in futures. Children who are growing during this period will able to find jobs easily in the future.
- Incentives:-People who follow the One-child policy, for them Chinaines government is providing incentives and additional benefits.
As there are some ups, there are also some downs to the one-child policy. These downs can affect on the country in every aspect socially and economically. As follows:-
- Abortions:- Most of the parents prefer a boy than a girl. So there was been an increased rate of abortions in China because of a girl child. And to also escape from the penalties of baring the second child.
- Imbalance in sex ratio at birth:- Because of the preference of boy more than girl by parents. Which led to more imbalance between a male and female ratio. This can affect both socially and economically in China.
- Decreasing in growth rate:-Due sudden decrease in birth rate, there will less working labor which might affect the Country’s GDP(Gross Domestic Product) or economic growth in the future.
- Imbalance in demand and supply of labor:- In the future, there will increase in the demand for labor. But due to the one-child policy, there will be a decrease in the supply of labor, which can cause an imbalance in demand and supply of labor.
End of China’s one-child policy
In October 2015, China’s Government announced plans to abolish the one-child policy. The law was started on 1st January 2016. Now a family can have two children. The Decision was taken by the communist party of China in an
Every country needs to plan for future population control. Where in China’s one-child policy is more suitable for the short term. There are advantages for the short term and the disadvantages are for the future and long term. Where there should be a limit of 2 children per family for better population control which is more suitable for overpopulated countries.